Friday, May 25, 2012

Every Day May Blogging (Gatsby)

So, in case you didn't know, Bryce LOVES The Great Gatsby - it's probably not far off to say he's read it more times than anyone alive today!  He teaches it every year to his 11th grade students and most of them go on to say it's their favorite book (at least at this point in their lives I'm sure, they may change their minds as they go on to read more books.)  Anyway, when word start spreading that there was a new Great Gatsby movie coming out, I think I was more excited than he was.  He's always very hesitant about stuff like this because they never do it "right" haha - he does enjoy the older version of the movie, but only because Robert Redford IS Gatsby, as far as Bryce is concerned!

Anyway, Bryce used to do an assignment with his classes where he'd have them cast The Great Gatsby if they were remaking the movie.  It was fun, funny and a little sad to see some of the people they picked.   I think I remember one kid putting Chuck Norris down for EVERY part (not sure if that's fun, funny or sad!)  Anyway, Bryce and I would do our own lists and I almost always put Leonardo DiCaprio for Gatsby (I just love him) and every time I did, Bryce would always tell me he was a bad choice!  He's VERY particular about Gatsby!  Anyway, when I found out Leo had indeed been cast as Gatsby, I thought to myself "Hm, I should be a casting director in Hollywood" haha

Bryce has already had former students approaching him, asking if they can go see the movie with him when it comes out! hahaha I'm thinking of starting a Facebook event so we can invite everyone who wants to go with us.  We may end up with a HUGE group in the theatre!

Anyway, we just saw the "official" trailer the other day on YouTube and that is what inspired this post.


When the trailer ended Bryce said "eh, looks ok."  He's not excited about the music from the trailer and hopes that's not the music in the actual film.  He's optimistic about the fact that everything said in the trailer was textually accurate (of course he would know this!)  I can't wait for the commentary during the actual film!  Anyone else who wants to be entertained on TWO levels is welcome to join us!!

1 comment:

justdave said...

I side w/Bryce

while both are great actors Redford is prettier than DiCaprio which 'completes' the character physically