Sunday, May 20, 2012

Every Day May Blogging (Fitbit Update)

So, it's been 10 days since I started using my FitBit and I just wanted to post a quick update.  So far, so good :) I've been sticking to the goals set by the program (as far as steps/day, calories allowed, etc.) and I've been very pleased with the results.  I mean, so far I'm sure it's only water weight, but I've lost 2.6 lbs since I started!  I still have a long way to go, but I will say, I haven't really ever felt hungry this whole time and that confirms what I've always thought. 

I don't eat because I'm hungry, I eat because I'm bored!  So when I can see in front of me how many calories I have left in the day, it makes me consider if what I'm thinking about eating is worth not being able to eat something later... it's made a huge difference for me.  For example, when I make pizza, I used to eat 3-4 pieces without blinking.  After I calculated the calories/piece it really made me think about that choice.  I mean, if I REALLY wanted 3 pieces I'd have to adjust my eating for the rest of the day, so I've been only eating 2 pieces per sitting and I feel totally fulfilled at the end, but not stuffed, which is fine!  I don't believe we should be eating until we're stuffed anyway! 

I've also noticed the days I have a hard time on calories, or am cutting it really close (by running on my elliptical at 10pm to burn the calories I went over!) are the days I do a lot of snacking!  They do recommend 2 snacks a day, but my snacks were ending up as many calories as some of my meals!  That's a little out of control!

Another thing I've been doing, when I make dinner (like chili last night) I figure out how many calories/serving and then when there are left overs I package it up in individual servings, that way it's easier for me to just grab and eat, and already know the calories for it.

I have been making an effort to be more active, but I haven't really been specifically working out every day.  I'll take the kids on walks, or spend 2 hours walking around Walmart with them, stuff like that.  I've only run on the elliptical 3 times in the last 10 days I think.

Anyway, I'm excited to see how it goes as I continue forward.  I plan to implement more working out to my routine (especially when school is out and I have another set of eyes to help watch the kids!)  I'm also hoping that my organic produce delivery will inspire me to cook healthier!  I'll keep everyone updated!

No comments: