Saturday, May 12, 2012

Every Day May Blogging (FitBit)

So, a month or so ago I started researching different activity tracker-type devices.  I have a good friend who had great results using a BodyBugg (they use them on The Biggest Loser) so I decided to start by looking at those.  In my research, I came across a device called the FitBit Ultra: it tracks your daily steps, stairs climbed, distance, calories burned, and activity level.  It also tracks your sleep, which I found interesting.  Anyway, I didn't really think much of it (any of it) and went about my life. 

Then randomly Bryce was asking me about it, I think I'd mentioned to him I'd looked at someone online a few weeks before.  I told him about the ones I'd looked at, but said I didn't really know which one I wanted and that I'd think about it later.  Flash Forward to this past Thursday.  A package arrived from Amazon and Bryce quickly said "Oh, that's for me!" then I realized, it was probably my Mother's Day present (which I was sure he hadn't even thought about!  I don't give him enough credit!)  Later that night, he asked if I wanted my present early and I said sure, so he gave it to me.  He'd gotten me the FitBit.  He said he'd looked into all of them and decided this one was the best (he's really good at researching stuff like that.)  I was super excited to give it a try and immediately set up my account on their website and charged my device. 

I wore it that first night when I slept and was surprised by what it told me in the morning.  It too me 20 minutes to fall asleep.  I woke up 18 times in the night (probably mostly just rolling over or re-situating myself.)  I was in bed for 8hrs 22min and actually slept for 6hrs 41min - so my sleep efficiency was 83% - crazy, right?  I decided to spend the first day just doing normal things.  Not trying to walk more than normal, not working out or anything, I just wanted to see how many steps I took and calories I burned in regular life.  Here are the results of that first day: 8565 steps taken, 20 floors climbed, 3.41 miles traveled, and 2495 calories burned.  I set up a meal plan that tells me (as the day goes on, based on my activity level) how many calories I can consume.  As I input what I'm inputting, it takes that off the total and tells me how many I have left for the day.  It's pretty amazing.  I have myself on a food plan to lose 1.5 lbs/week... so we'll see how it goes.  I can always change it to an easier plan if I feel like I can't manage it.

Anyway, needless to say, it's only been 2 days, but I'm really enjoying seeing how active I am at different parts of the day and finding little ways to be more active.  I'm someone who needs the numbers in front of me (all the time) to feel motivated, so I think this will work well for me.  I guess time will tell!  Will post again in a few weeks with an update!

No comments: