So, I'm actually not bad at styling other people's hair, but for some reason I've never been very good at styling my own hair. This is embarrassing, but I've only recently (like within the last 5 or so years) learned how to properly blow dry my hair! Growing up and mostly through high school, I was the queen of the pony tail. You see, I have really, really, REALLY thick hair and I never knew (until I started getting my hair professionally cut) that you could have your hair thinned out, so I just never knew what to do with all of it, so a ponytail was always easiest. Once I started working and making my own money (during my junior year of HS) I started going to get my hair cut (nothing fancy, I think I just went to Master Cuts or something like that) and this lead to me wearing fewer ponytails, but still not really actively styling my hair.
When I went away to college I met a really awesome stylist in town, her name was Cara. She was so fun and good at what she did, so I had no problem sitting in her chair and saying "do whatever you want!" She loved that! We played around with color and styles. At one point I was super blond with a pixie cut (while this was fun, it was AWFUL to grow out and I hated having to go in once a month for a trim.) I also had the style that was really short in the back and then longer in the front, can't think of what it's called. Anyway, I started trying to actively style my hair more at this point in my life, but still just have a couple go-to styles I would use almost every day, and ponytails were still heavily in the rotation!
Anyway, the point of this post, is that a few weeks ago I decided I actually wanted to start looking a little more put together when I was out in public! It's hard enough to get out of the house with 2 little kids, but actually having time to get ready is even harder, so I wanted to learn how to do some fun, easy and quick hairstyles! I came across this awesome blog (I know there are a MILLION hairstyle blogs out there, so if you know of any good ones, please share them in the comments!)
It's called The Small Things Blog, and the girl, Kate, is a hair stylist. She has about 40-ish different hairstyles, for all different types of occasions (from casual, everyday stuff to more fancy events.) She posts a video showing step-by-step how to do the style and she really breaks it down in an easy to understand way, which I appreciate. She also has posts about how to use different styling tools (curling iron, flat iron, etc.) and how to use different products. I've tried about 5 of her hairstyles, so far, and I've been impressed with each of them. Granted some of them will take a little practice, but I think I've gone out in public after doing each of them for the first time! I think my favorite, so far, has been the messy side up-do - it is easy and fun and I got lots of compliments on it!
I'll try and get some pictures of my hair style experiments to post on here, as well as, try and find some pictures of my old hair styles through the years. Could be a fun walk down memory lane!
No comments:
Post a Comment