So, Bryce and I don't have cable currently, so the only way we can watch TV shows is online. Luckily, most of the networks put their current episodes online the day after they air, so we're able to keep fairly up to date on the shows that are most important to us. The shows we are currently watching are: Castle, How I Met Your Mother, The Big Bang Theory and Fringe (don't get me started on Fox making us wait a WHOLE week to watch the most recent episode!) Castle is my favorite of the bunch and I think Bryce would say How I Met Your Mother is his favorite (he LOVES Marshall haha)
We do have Netflix and have enjoyed being able to watch "older" shows we maybe missed the first time around. The shows we recently watched for the first time are: Better off Ted, Numbers (or Numb3rs, if you're particular!), Reaper and Eli Stone. We've got 1 season left of Lie to Me and we've recently started SGU (Stargate Universe) and Leverage (though we have to get this one on disc so it's slower going) - we also tried out Sliders, The Guild, and Parks and Recreation but haven't gotten as hooked on them as some of the others. In addition to all these mentioned, there are a few others we keep up with pretty currently, but mostly we wait until the season comes out and watch it. Those shows are: Sherlock, Warehouse 13, Eureka, and The Walking Dead (at some point we'll probably finish up Chuck as well.)
There are also a handful of shows we like to re-watch periodically. Those shows are: Scrubs, Wings, Star Trek: The Next Generation, Arrested Development, Firefly, Buffy, Angel, The X-Files and Avatar: The Last Airbender (we LOVE this show! Is that weird?)
Now, I know what you're thinking... GOOD HEAVENS what do these people do, watch TV ALL DAY?? The answer to that is NO, we do not! BUT, we like TV (and movies) and at the end of the day, when the kids are in bed, we like to sit down and watch a few episodes of our favorite shows. I will say, sometimes a "few" turns into 4 or 5 and we're getting to bed WAY later than we should, but hey, we're adults, we can make that choice, right? The second thing you're thinking is "Man these two are NERDS!" and I will proudly say "Yes, we are!"
So, in the end, I've been happy with our decision to get rid of our cable over a year ago. We've been able to save some money each month and I don't think we're really missing out on too much, besides commercials, movie previews and sports (this one is hardest for us!) If you believe it, I think we actually watch LESS TV since we canceled our cable, simply because before it seemed like the TV was ALWAYS on, regardless of if we were actively watching it or even cared much about what was on.
Okay, so I know you guys are out there... reading these posts, so tell me the shows you are watching. Let me know if there's a show we're totally missing the boat on (any bets on how many people say Modern Family?) Also, if you were stuck on a desert island (I'll revisit this idea in a later post) and could only watch ONE show while you were there, what show would it be? I think I would pick Scrubs! Bet you didn't think I'd say that, huh?!
Ok, now it's your turn... comment below! More from me tomorrow!
5 comments:
Yeah, Modern Family. Pretty much the greatest show on TV. I just started that new show scandal that has had about 3 episodes and the jury is still out. And have you done Downton Abbey yet? Other than that, our favorites are pretty much in your list. I keep meaning to try out Eli Stone.
First, to be fair, the first season of Parks & Rec is pretty bad. I WORK in Parks & Rec and stopped watching after a couple episodes! However, it gets TONS better in season 2 & 3, so don't give up on it. (In fact, you really won't miss too much if you just skip straight to season 2.)
I'm a HUGE TV and Movie nerd, so our evenings usually involve a few episodes of something after dinner, too. No shame, we love it, the nerdier the better! Here are my favorite shows, off the top of my head. (I'm sure there are a few I'll forget:)
Currently airing: How I Met Your Mother, New Girl, Parks & Recreation, Community, The Vampire Diaries, The Big Bang Theory, Sherlock, Doctor Who, Downton Abbey, Mad Men, 30 Rock, Cougar Town, Happy Endings, Grey's Anatomy
Old stuff I'm watching now that I missed the first time around: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Firefly, The OC
Shows I constantly re-watch, even having seen too many times to count: The West Wing (the best television show to ever air, in my humble opinion,) My So-Called Life, First few seasons of The Office, Arrested Development, Chuck (RIP.)
To watch: Battlestar Galactica, Angel, Supernatural and I'm sure a few more.
I love Bones, and my latest obsession is Once Upon a Time - That show is amazing. I love fairy tales, and Once Upon a Time puts a really interesting twist on those stories we know and love.
@Rachel - we haven't done Downton Abbey yet, but EVERYONE is talking about it and it is in our queue so I think we'll get to it soon! Bryce liked Eli Stone much more than I did, but I still enjoyed it.
@Meghan - I can't believe you haven't watched BSG yet! It's AMAZING! Also, maybe we'll give Parks & Rec another try, I really like Amy Pohler (or however it's spelled!)
@Kim - We watched Bones until about mid-way through season 5, I think. I absolutely LOVE seasons 1-3 and actually rewatch them sometimes. I just stopped being excited to watch it :( so I stopped. I have heard good things about Once Upon a Time and hope to catch up on it when the season is out on DVD!
I love Fringe- LOVE IT. That's the only one I watch with any religiousness, now that Chuck is gone (sniff sniff). I have seen the first season of Big Bang Theory on DVD and thought it was pretty funny, so I will try and catch up the other seasons. Other than that I watch (non trashy) reality shows like Deadliest Catch and What Not to Wear. If I was stuck on an island and could only watch one show it would be LOST. IRONIC RIIIIGHT?! I miss LOST something fierce. I figure, if I'm stuck on an island there is going to be a lot of down time, and there is plenty to try and figure out on LOST....
Post a Comment