So along the same lines as my Doing my Hair post a few days ago, I've decided to talk a little about my make up routine. Growing up and especially in high school, I was never really into wearing makeup, unless I was performing (I did theatre and show choir in high school.) I as pretty good with stage make up, but not very good with regular, everyday make up (in case you haven't figured it out by now, I'm not the most girly of girls.) In college I think I hosted or went to a couple of Mary Kay parties, which actually was my first real introduction to proper makeup application :) The first lipstick I remember really loving was from Mary Kay (the color has been discontinued.) Right before I got married I decided to "splurge" and buy some Mac makeup to use on my big day (since I had someone doing my makeup for me, figured I could spend the money on the good stuff haha) Besides special occasions and most Sundays, I wasn't much for wearing makeup. I used to have really bad acne (even in my 20's) and felt like I had to use SO much makeup to cover it up, it took A) too much time and B) too much money. Additionally, I thought it looked gross, so I mostly just went without. Then I discovered (or finally caught onto) Bare Minerals - I bought a started kit to try and was HOOKED almost instantly! Years later I still use it! At least I could leave the house without looking all splotchy or caked on with makeup!
My biggest "complaint" when it comes to makeup is not knowing what to buy. Which brands, colors, etc. I didn't feel like I could afford to spend TONS of money on makeup (except my Bare Minerals!) so I just stuck with my regular old browns (for shadows and eye liner)
and black for mascara, chap stick for my lips and called it good. One day I decided to search on YouTube to try and find an eye makeup tutorial that wasn't too daunting and I came across frmheadtotoe. I watched some of her videos and really enjoyed her product reviews, though most of the products she talked about were out of my price range, she did a review of a bunch of makeup she bought at the drugstore. She didn't love a lot of the stuff, but she did like a palette of Wet n Wild eye shadows, which I think surprised even her! I ended up going out and buying 2 of them (in different colors) and have been enjoying them since. Most of her tutorials are easy enough and she does have some more challenging ones (at least, I think so) if you want to try some more fancy make up stuff.
As for the actual products I am currently using, on my face I use: Bare Minerals in fairly light, a little sun or warmth, followed by the original mineral veil (with SPF 25). One my eyes I use Rimmel brand eye liner (I bought it on a whim and ended up really liking it) in Sable Brown and I use CoverGirl Lash Blast Volume mascara in Very Black. The eye shadows I'm currently playing around with are Wet n Wild Coloricon eye shadow collections in Petal Pusher (purples) and Comfort Zone (browns), I also have a Mary Kay eye color quad in: Cream, Opal, Sable and Bittersweet (I think their eye shadow is my favorite). I don't do blush or lips... these will be my next undertakings as I try to learn how to do my makeup like a grown up :)
Everyone always says that brushes make a huge difference in makeup application. I did buy some new eye shadow brushes at the end of last year, nothing fancy, but I will say they are way better then the little wand things that come with the eye shadow. Obviously I also use the brushes that came with the Bare Minerals and think they are wonderful (especially the little matted down one to use on areas you want to cover up!) Maybe someday, when I don't have little kids, I'll take a makeup class so I can learn more about being able to apply my own makeup on a regular basis!
1 comment:
I didn't realize how much we have in common until I started reading your blog :) Not sure if you know/remember this, but with Mary Kay you can get samples of the majority of eye/lip/etc colors to test out. I am a MK consultant (of all people, ha ha) and could order you samples of most colors to try...also, if you ordered a big one & hated it, you could send it back for something else no cost to you. That is one thing I really loved about MK (after wasting a ton of make up & money that isn't "quite right" or what I thought). I think you mentioned you were coming to IL so I could meet up with you to try a bunch that way too.
I need to utilize you tube more after reading about all the good tutorials you have found.
I'm having trouble signing into google acounts - so signing with anon. Jen Usher (Carr)
Post a Comment