Funny story, I was at a game one year, sitting in the stands (by myself I think) watching a summer league game of Bryce's, and I yelled for our guys to "Box Out!" and this older guy (also sitting alone) turned and said over his shoulder to me "Do you even know what a box out is?" I was so offended by that. Just because I'm this little white girl, sitting alone at a basketball game, doesn't mean I don't know anything about basketball! So I (somewhat rudely) said "yes, I do!" and kept on cheering. He ended up moving to the other side of the gym at half time! PS. Here's my boy, Tyler Hansbrough boxing someone out when he played at North Carolina.
When the coaches and their wives get together, I usually spend at least half the time talking about basketball with the coaches. They think it's really funny. Before we had kids, the coaches used to go out a lot after the games for dinner and to talk about the game (which I think is really funny considering the game had JUST happened, but they felt the need to rehash it right away) and I loved to go and give my 2 cents.
Anyway, we are definitely a basketball loving household. Bryce prefers college basketball (he's a MAJOR Duke fan! I, on the other hand, prefer North Carolina! Yes, we live in the same house!) As for the NBA (which I guess I mostly prefer) Bryce is a Boston Celtics fan (and has been his entire life, since he grew up in Virginia.) I am a Dallas fan and have been since 2005. I love Dirk. He's my favorite player (and in case you haven't noticed, he's a 7 foot tall version of my husband) and he just seems like a good guy. Did you ever see him on that show Punked? He was so nice to keep signing all that crap for that kid and not really get mad or anything. I was so happy when Dallas won the Championship last year. I'll be honest, I didn't really think they would go all the way. I mean, I'd hoped they would and really wished they would, and in all reality they were old and slow, but in the end they played AMAZING defense and worked together as a team. I'm glad he got at least 1 before he retired! I love this campaign that Nike ran with him after they won, and it's true! Our dreams can seem crazy (especially to everyone else!)
Besides basketball, we also love tennis! I think Wimbledon is my favorite of the 4 major tournaments. I love seeing the players in all white outfits with the green, green grass! I'd LOVE to go watch Wimbledon someday, it's on my bucket list. We'll try and get out to Indian Wells sometime soon so we can watch Rafa before he retires (he surely won't be playing by the time we can get to Wimbledon!) He's the favorite in the Brimhall house. He's exciting to watch and such a humble and down to earth guy (not to mention extremely good looking, but I think that only matters to me!)
We hope that our kids one day want to play sports (Bryce says they can play anything but soccer, haha) but if they don't, it's okay. We'll still watch and enjoy sports regardless of if our kids are participating.



No comments:
Post a Comment