I've long known we needed to start cutting out processed foods. Months ago I started reading labels to buy products with no high fructose corn syrup (have you ever tried this? It's sad the things you'll find this in!) I started feeling good when I was able to almost completely cut this out from our diets. I'll admit, sometimes I get lazy, but for the most part I'm really trying hard to avoid HFCS and I don't feel like we're being deprived of much in doing so.
Anyway, after learning the sad news about our beloved Kraft Mac & Cheese, I had refrained from purchasing it in my many trips to the grocery store. But I was starting to long for the ease of whipping up a box for lunch when we were in a rush or having a staple I knew my kids would always eat, so I went to the grocery store recently with the intent of finding an option of Macaroni & Cheese that did NOT include yellow #5 or #6. I came home with three options and tonight we taste tested one of them.
The brand is Annie's and it's made with organic pasta, has no artificial flavors, synthetic colors or preservatives. I had high hopes as I carefully followed the directions and prepared for my kids to enjoy. While the response wasn't negative, they certainly didn't gobble it up like they always have the Kraft. While I think over time, they would come to accept this as their macaroni and cheese option, I was really hoping they would not even notice the difference.As I was checking the boxes of macaroni & cheese at the grocery store, I was surprised to learn that the Kraft "Deluxe" Macaroni & Cheese does not contain the controversial yellow dyes - so I picked up a box to try with the others. Another thing I find funny in this whole situation is that the Kraft "Cheesy Pasta" (the U.K. Version of Mac & Cheese) doesn't contain them either!
Here's a story about this particular topic, feel free to read it and consider signing the petition to try and get Kraft to remove these harmful ingredients from this childhood staple!
I do realize I also have the option of making homemade macaroni and cheese, which I do from time to time, but it's not something I can just "throw together" so I like the idea of having an option, like Annie's, that I can keep in my pantry and not have to feel guilty about it.
I will now descend from my soapbox. Thank you for listening.
What are ways you try to ensure you and your family are eating healthy?
5 comments:
I actually quite like Annie's Mac and Cheese. Particularly the white cheddar kind. Mmmmm......
Thanks for mentioning racheltheriveter. Com I applaud your efforts to serve healthy alternatives. It is so hard! Try Annie's organic aged cheddar and shells. My kids like that one the best :)
After trying MANY of the different brands out there, the Trader Joe's (orange box) is my favorite. It tastes the most like the Kraft we grew up on, is the least fussy in terms of directions, and is about $1 a box.
We have a lot of allergies & sensitivities to food additives in both my family & my husband's, I've been eating dye/preservative free since 2007 and have seen so many health benefits/improvements in myself since then. Good for you for making these great positive changes for your family!
Thanks for the recommendations ladies! We'll definitely try each of those soon!! Thanks for reading :)
Thanks for posting this! I don't follow a lot of news about organic eating, etc, and I haven't been super familiar with this. We don't eat it toooo frequently, but this made me want to do some research!
Post a Comment