Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Every Day May 2013: On the Mend

I apologize for the radio silence these last few days, I've been laying low and have literally been in bed for most of the last 4 days.  Bryce tends to feel strongly that people over share information on the internet these days, and I am inclined to agree with him, however, I feel like my blog is a different forum than say Facebook or Twitter.  I feel like you, who come to my blog, are my dear friends and family who care about us and are interested in the happenings of our lives.  You're not some random person I met at a friend's wedding who ended up friending me on Facebook.  You're not some kid I was in 3rd grade with, but haven't really spoken to since that follows me on Twitter (I'm not actually ON Twitter, I'm just making a point.)  I also feel like my blog is the closest thing I have to a journal at this point, so I don't feel like what I'm about to share is over-sharing (please feel free to disagree in the comments below!)

So Friday night we went to Bryce's cousin's wedding reception up in Pasadena.  It was beautiful! They had it catered by In-n-Out (Bryce had two Double/Doubles... yes, TWO!  He was in heaven!)  All in all, it was a nice night, the kids behaved for the most part and we got home and everything seemed fine.  I woke up on Saturday, Bryce went to the school to do some grading, I took the kids and went to the gym and part way through my workout I just started to feel not, right.

We got home, I ate some lunch and then I started having this intense cramping/sharp pains on the lower left side of my back.  I immediately panicked, called Bryce and asked which side my appendix was on (for some reason I was worried my appendix was about to burst, random, right?)  Anyway, he assured me it was on my right side and I asked him to come home as soon as he could, cause I was in some real pain.

Now, when I say "real pain" let me remind you that I've had TWO children.  This pain was unlike labor, because there was no break!  At least with contractions, you know there's a moment of rest coming.  On Saturday this was not the case.  It was so bad I couldn't keep anything down, so pain medication of any kind was out of the question (and I was SO desperate I asked Bryce to get some children's liquid tylenol!)  I tossed and turned all night, sleeping no more than an hour at a time, completely unable to get comfortable.

Sunday morning came and the pain seemed, for the moment, to be gone.  The area was still a little sore and I had zero appetite, but I could sit up and move around (slowly).  So I thought maybe it was food poisoning?  Or a random 24 hour flu bug or something?  By Sunday night the pain had returned slightly and I (reluctantly) asked Bryce to take the day off on Monday, incase it got worse again, I knew I wouldn't be able to manage the kids (side note: he was GREAT the entire taking care of the kids and everything!  He's the best!)  He agreed and I went to sleep in the hopes Monday would find me feeling better than Sunday.

Monday morning we got up, I still wasn't hungry but tried to eat some applesauce, we took Breckin to preschool, came home and suddenly the pain struck again.  Not as severe as Saturday, but definitely worse than Sunday.  I'd had enough and decided to go to urgent care (or in reality have Bryce take me there) to find out what was going on.  I had my suspicions and suggestions from friends, but decided to get a professional opinion.

Luckily we were the first to walk into the Urgent Care when they opened, so there was no line.  They checked me out, tested my pee and concluded that they think I have a kidney stone!  UGH!  Really?!  I was prescribed some pain meds and told that the pain could come and go as the stone is passing, but that if it hasn't gone away within a week I'll need to go to my doctor's office for x-rays or an ultrasound or something along those lines to see what's going on.  We went home, I took my pain meds and I rested the remainder of the day.

Today has been better.  The pain is minimal, but I'm exhausted!  Even picking up the family room this evening left me winded!  Luckily I have some WONDERFUL friends who have been offering to help by taking the kids for periods of time or bringing us dinner (since I have NO interest in cooking right now, I've barely been able to eat substantial food!)  I'm hopeful the worst is behind me, but I guess we'll see how the next few days play out.

Anyway, that's how I'm doing - how are you? :)

No comments: