Sunday, May 19, 2013

Every Day May 2013: Big Chicken is Me


So, I'm a big chicken.  I've come to the point that I'm able to admit this.  I'm not a chicken about everything, mind you, and currently I'm only being a big chicken about one (big) thing... going to the dentist.  You may ask yourself, how can you be a chicken about something you're suppose to do 1-2x a year?  And my answer would be: I haven't been to the dentist in YEARS (too many to admit without completely embarrassing myself.)
I've recently gotten a new dental plan, with the kids covered, in an attempt to force myself to actually go see the dentist.  The dentist we're assigned to came recommended by two good friends, whose opinions I completely trust and yet I still can't get myself to go.  The problem is, I know Breckin needs to go and get started on this path to healthy teeth and gums and Harper will be close behind (if not starting already since we'll already be going for him.)  I'm just a big chicken.

I tell myself that if something had been seriously wrong in my mouth during my "break" from the dentist, I would have gone to get it taken care of, but now I'm not so sure.  You see, I cracked a tooth a while back and at first it didn't hurt so I didn't even really think much about it.  Nowadays it's starting to hurt off and on.  You would think that would be enough to make me go, but alas, here I sit typing away thinking about taking some Tylenol to get rid of the pain.

All this started when a dentist wanted to do surgery to extract my wisdom teeth (that hadn't even started coming in yet) because he thought maybe they might cause some trouble.  That freaked me out enough to not ever go back to that dentist and to rarely go to any one after that.  I know I just need to suck it up and go.  I need to accept that the dentist will probably lecture me on having not been to a dentist in a long time and I need to be prepared to need lots of work done.

Ugh, I just need to give myself a pep talk, put on my big girl panties and go...............

The words are easy, the execution is harder, I'll report back soon!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can relate, Sarah! But go anyway. It seems like the docs are so much better with shots now than they used to be. And once you're numb, you're good, right?

I had my first fillings at the age of 3, and my mouth is so full of metal and crowns, I should take stock in the crown jewels! My head will sink lower when I am buried someday--it's so heavy!! YOU CAN DO THIS.

Unknown said...

If it turns out you would like another recommendation, I have been seeing my dentist for 15 years and I love love her! She sees all ages, and is great with kids and big kids lol. Plus...she has a word search on her ceiling. case closed.