This may seem like an easy fix. Nearly every store you go in to has racks and racks of suits on display in a variety of colors and styles. My problem is I'm very picky about bathing suits. This is why I haven't actually purchased a new one in years (except my maternity suit I got when I was pregnant with Harper.) I've gotten by with my same old suit because it's "good enough" and I can never find what I quite want to justify making a purchase.
Here are a few of my many requirements for a bathing suit:
NOT a Halter Top - This is incredibly hard to find. Maybe in the "right" suit a halter top wouldn't be a problem, but in my current suit I have to tie it so tight that it hurts my neck and is ridiculously uncomfortable, so I'd rather just avoid it.
Preferably a one piece, will settle for a Tankini - Here's my thing, I'd absolutely love to find a one piece suit that would work for me, but in case you haven't met me, I'm incredibly short, which doesn't usually lend itself to one piece articles of clothing. That being said, I would accept a tankini, as long as the top is long enough that I can lift my arms without exposing my stomach (I know, I know, picky picky)
MUST be supportive up top - I don't think I need to explain this one, but some styles just aren't as good in this department as others.
I'd rather not spend five THOUSAND dollars on a suit - Clearly this is an exaggeration, but seriously I don't even feel like I could spend one hundred dollars on a suit, unless I knew it was going to be THE ONE and knowing it will be the one before purchasing it requires spending long periods of time trying on suit after suit before finding it. This doesn't sound fun to me.
So, here I sit, melting away in our 104 degree heat because I'm too stubborn, picky and lazy to find myself a suit that I love enough to want to wear it. Am I crazy?
So I've been doing lots of searching around on the internet for bathing suits and if I can get myself to accept that fact that I'll likely be paying between $100-$200 for a quality suit... and if I'm willing to take the risk of ordering online, I think I'd like something like this, it's the Calvin Klein Women's Sundress.
Anyone have any swim suit shopping tips? Places you LOVE to buy suits from? I'm open to any and all suggestions! Thank you!

5 comments:
When you get one with a skirt bottom, the material floats to the top when you're in the water. Not so cute!
My solution? Hold a child in front of you--Jump in the water before anyone has a chance to see anything.
And a tan hides lots of problems too.
I have accepted the high price and my suits tend to last about ten years. So the $200 i pay is worth it for being comfortable in it. This year I am buying a new suit too. Not excited about it. I agree about halters and all your requirements. The first place I am going is a store called Intimacy in the mall down here. I have to get suits at specialty stored since my body is misproportioned according to the manufacturers. Good luck in your search.
Land's End. They are not cheap, (though less than $200) but are definitely great quality for the product you receive. I've got two of them currently, a one-piece halter suit an a two strap tankini that is nice and long. I'm tall because of a long torso, not my legs, so I have a very difficult time finding suits that are long enough for me. I'm incredibly satisfied and am looking to just purchase a maternity bottom for the tankini and just keep wearing the old top, since I went down about 3 dress sizes in the year before getting pregnant, I think it'll fit pretty well and will hopefully be enough to get me to my due date (especially with the ruching on the sides.)
I really like everything but water and Bloomingdales. Obviously they dont have target prices but the suits are high quality and usually have cute options foe matching cover ups. But your "good enough" suit is perfect for my back yard :)
I like the Down East Basics ones, but I have fewer needs as far as support and such go, so I am mostly judging based on their cuteness. If I were rich and not pregnant, I would get myself this one: http://downeastbasics.com/sailortankini-stripes.aspx
(It's a halter though.)
Post a Comment