Bryce just got voted Department Chair of the Language Arts department at school. It's very exciting and I think he'll be great. I did ask him if he's ready for the drama and he was like "what drama?" I laughed and said, "Bryce most of your department is women, there has to be drama, you just don't know about it now because you choose to stay out of it. When you're department chair you won't be able to stay out of it."
He'll be good at resolving conflicts or issues because he's pretty logical and rational, making him a great unbiased third party participant in most discussions. He's also taught almost every level of Language Arts (except 12th grade, I think) so he knows well where everyone else is coming from.
I asked him after he put his name in, what changed his mind (he'd originally had NO interest in the position.) He said he'd talked to Susan (the current department chair) and she was telling him what was involved in being the department chair. He said it wasn't much more work than what he was doing as a PLC Team Leader, so he figured why not do a little more work and actually get paid for it (he doesn't get paid for being a PLC Team Leader) - the other nice thing is he's just finishing the second year of Susan's 2-year term, so if he doesn't like it, he's only signed on for 1 year and he can stop.
Anyway, I'm excited for him to embark on this new adventure. I hope it doesn't turn out to be too overwhelming, because he already has a lot on his plate. Either way, I know he'll do great and I think his fellow teachers will enjoy having him at the department chair.
No comments:
Post a Comment