Thursday, May 23, 2013

Every Day May 2013: Old People at Concerts

So last night Bryce and I went to see The Presidents of the United States of America in concert (from here on out I'll refer to them as POTUSA to save my poor fingers haha!)  This was the second time we've seen them in concert and I can say with very little hesitation that they put on the best concert I've been too!  They might have a little competition from Ok Go!  This is not to say that either of these are my favorite bands, but I just had such an enjoyable time at their concerts!
 
Anyway, we weren't really sure what to expect as we drove to the concert.  It was at a venue we've never been too before (The Observatory in Santa Ana) and, well, POTUSA is kind of a random band, so you never know who's going to go to their concert.  I mean, look at us!
 
Anyway, the venue was nice.  Not too big.  Mostly standing with a few tables and then some reserved seating if you made dinner reservations.  The opening band was TERRIBLE!  I think they were called Original Summers?  We had a hard time understanding them.  Maybe they didn't articulate well.  Maybe the sound mixing was bad.  When they first started, Bryce and I looked at each other and I said "well she has a different voice."  After the first song we both decided it wasn't "different" it was "bad" and she did way too much vocalizing.
 
1 hour and 40 minutes after the official start time, POTUSA took the stage!  They are on tour right now to celebrate the 20th anniversary of their first album.  I bet it's pretty exciting to still be able to play in front of a few hundred screaming fans 20 years later!  They played a few songs (including Tiki God and Some Postman, a couple of my favorites) before playing their entire first album all the way through, in order!  That was kind of fun!  During the encore they played Froggy and then a new song (yes, they are working on NEW songs!) called Finger Puppet and then they closed with Video Killed the Radiostar.
 
Now, I'll talk briefly about the crowd of people who attended this concert.  We were probably in the middle of the age range.  There were some pretty old people there and then some extremely young people... young enough that I actually thought "were you even ALIVE when their first album came out??"  For the most part people just danced and sang along and were all in all pretty fun, but lucky us, we ended up next to these two totally stupid couples.  The girls were danging out of control while the guys were hurling empty beer bottles and cups of ice into the crowd on the levels below us.  The first time they did that I seriously thought "what are we? 16? and we're out without our parents for the first time?"  So ridiculous.
 
On our other side was another interesting couple.  They were probably 10-15 years older than us and she wore a dress that was too tight and too short for any ocassion, let alone a concert you intend to dance around at.  He had loooooong black, curly hair and wore a long black trench coat.  She kept screaming throughout the concert, which is common concert behavior.  However, her scream wasn't the usual "whooooooo!" it was like "AAAAHHHHHHHH!"  I mean, she seriously sounded like she was being attacked everytime she screamed!  And she'd do it at these really quiet points in the show.  And she'd scream over and over.  It was kind of uncomfortable.
 
Anyway, aside from our less than desirable neighbors, the concert was tons of fun and I'd go see them again in a heartbeat!

No comments: