Early in the morning on Sunday the 21st (not sure what time, but it was still dark outside) I started having contractions. I was sure I was going into labor because I was pretty sure the contractions were like right on top of each other. I eventually woke Bryce up and told him I was having contractions. He got his watch and started timing. From the first to second, which to me seemed quick, he said "Honey, that was like 40 minutes" - WHAT?! I was so confused, but then I realized, I was probably falling back asleep between the contractions in the night, so they felt close together, but really weren't. So, I was thinking "false alarm, probably just braxton hicks or whatever" and went back to bed.
I got up in the morning and we decided it would probably be smart to get our bags ready, just in case (what is with me packing my bags on the day I go into labor?) We got as organized as we could and Bryce headed off to church for his meetings. I got myself and Breckin ready and we headed in at regular time. I left after the first hour to go to a good friend's baby shower, but somehow word got around at church that I'd left because I was having contractions and not feeling well, so everyone started thinking I was going to have the baby! At this point in the day my contractions had all but stopped, so I was over thinking the baby was coming anytime soon! I got home from the shower and we ate some dinner, but I still wasn't feeling well so I went and took a nap and started having contractions again, but they were still like 30 minutes apart, so I wasn't thinking too much of it. They started getting closer and closer (ranging between 13-16 minutes apart) and I got to thinking "I don't even know when I'm supposed to go to the hospital with my second baby." Bryce's mom suggested I call my doctor and get his opinion, so I did. The doctor on call actually told me to come in right then. I was SHOCKED (and a little upset!) We called Bryce's parents to let them know and they put a few things together and headed up to stay with Breckin. "I'm not ready for this baby, he/she isn't supposed to come for another two weeks!" I thought to myself and I finished packing my bag in annoyance.
I put Breckin down for bed, but for some reason he was really on one (I think he knew the baby was coming and it was his last night "alone" with us) so he fussed and cried and threw things out of his crib, so I sat with him for awhile. By the time Bryce's parents had gotten there he'd basically calmed down and we left (in no real hurry) for the hospital. It was shortly after 9 pm when we got there, so we entered through the emergency room and made our way to labor and delivery. By this time my contractions were stronger, but we'd stopped timing them so I wasn't really paying attention to how close they were. We walked up to the desk and I said something along the lines of "I'm having contractions, but I don't really think the baby is coming, but the doctor told me to come in, so I'm here, but I won't be upset if you send me home." The nurses kind of laughed and said they'd check me out and let me know what was going on. So I got all hooked up to the machines and found out my contractions were 6 minutes apart and I was dilated to a 5 - "you're not going anywhere" the nurse told me. I was SHOCKED (again) by this news, there was NO WAY this baby was coming already, I was still two weeks from my due date and we didn't have ANYTHING ready (seriously, when am I going to learn??)
So we hung out in the hospital, me having contractions, Bryce making the necessary calls and text messages to let people know what was going on. Bryce's parents were a little surprised when he called to fill them in, when we got home on Tuesday we learned that they didn't even pack a change of clothes because they didn't expect to be staying, they figured I'd get sent home from the hospital and they would be going home that same night! After the nurses had decided I would be staying and having this baby they started making all the necessary arrangements, such as placing my IV and getting my blood taken. I will say this, these two events were the most TRAUMATIC of my entire labor/delivery experience! They had to stick me THREE times to place my IV and the phlebotomist (you know the person who goes to school to learn how to draw blood) had to stick me THREE times to place the needle to take my blood. I was crying by the end, not because it hurt (well, it did) but because I was so frustrated and annoyed. The last of my bruises is still lingering, even a week later.
Around 11pm I decided I'd had as much as I could take and asked for the epidural. My contractions were getting worse and closer together and I was SO tired I could barely keep my eyes open, so I figured I should get as much rest as I could before then baby was actually coming. After my earlier needle experience I was very relieved when the epidural when super smoothly. From there things went along without much excitement, I had a few bad contractions that caused me to throw up, but since I wasn't actually feeling the whole strength of the contraction it wasn't so bad. This time around was a much better experience with the epidural, I could actually move my legs and I could tell when I was having a contraction (unlike with Breckin when I couldn't feel, move or do anything from the waist down.)
Our nursery nurse, Jim, the one who'd be taking care of the baby after she was born was awesome. He kept coming in and talking to us, giving us little tips and quizzing us on different baby facts (how to tell when they are hot. cold. when to start using sunscreen. how often to bathe them in the beginning.) He was funny and kept time moving quicker since at this point all we could do was wait. He taught us a couple of new swaddle techniques which have been really helpful (wish we'd known them for Breckin! He was the swaddle Houdini!)
Probably around 2am my nurse told me I was basically at a 10 and to let her know when I had the urge to push. I explained to her that I couldn't feel anything during my first labor and I wasn't sure what the urge to push would feel like, she assured me I'd know when it was happening. Not sure how much longer it was before I DEFINITELY knew I was feeling the urge to push. I paged my nurse and she came right in, told me I was ready and to try pushing to see what happened. I pushed 3 times and then she told me to wait. She said to try and not push next time and she was gonna go call the doctor. When she came back in she said he was on the way, but that he takes a little longer because he lives further than most of the other doctors and I should just try and breathe through the urge to push. I did my best, but at times just couldn't do it, so she'd tell me to "lightly" push and then frantically say "stop stop stop!" She kept commenting on what a good pusher I was, which I guess is a good thing, but it's not helpful when the doctor STILL isn't there and you really want to push that baby out!
The doctor finally arrived and was getting all suited up when I really, really REALLY needed to push, so my nurse said to push and then (trying to sound calm) started saying "doctor, doctor, DOCTOR!" Bryce said Harper's head was already out before the doctor had even put on his mask. I pushed like 2 more times and she was out. Now, since this wasn't my regular doctor, he had no idea that we didn't know what we were having, so when she was out he just plopped her up on me and went back to his business. I was frantically asking "what is it? what is it?" Bryce investigated and informed me she was a girl and I breathed a sigh of relief. It was over, she was here and she was TINY! When I finally took a good look at her I was shocked at how LITTLE she was and we were trying to decide if she was smaller than Breckin had been when he was born (she was, but 4 oz and 1 in.)
From there it was kind of a whirlwind of everyone getting cleaned up, checked out and all situated. Bryce's parents came in the morning with Breckin and I'm sure you saw the picture in my previous entry, he was SO excited to see her when he came in. It's almost like he knew she was coming and he'd been waiting for her! We've all been adjusting to each other pretty well I think and Harper has fit nicely and snugly into our little family. Even though we weren't quite ready for her, I'm SO glad she's here and can't imagine having to wait any longer for her arrival!
No comments:
Post a Comment